My research focuses on the study of the perception that other individuals and groups have about ourselves and our groups, and the comparison with our own self-perceptions. I am interested in how this general process may produce different effects and consequences according to different lines of research: self-verification and verification of ingroup identity, identity fusion, meta-perceptions and meta-stereotypes. In addition, I explore the influence of these processes for important strategies of prejudice reduction, such as direct and extended contact and recategorization.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Group Processes
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Intergroup Relations
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Self and Identity
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Swann, W. B., Jr., Gómez, A., Dovidio, J. F., Hart, S., & Jetten, J. (in press). Dying and killing for one’s group: Identity fusion moderates responses to intergroup versions of the trolley problem. Psychological Science.
- Swann, W. B., Jr., Gómez, A., Huici, C., Morales, J. F., & Hixon, J. G. (in press). Identity fusion and self-sacrifice: Arousal as catalyst of pro-group fighting, dying and helping behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Gómez, A., Dovidio, J. F., Cuadrado, I., Huici, C., & Gaertner, S. L. (2008). The other side of We: When outgroup members express common identity. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 34, 1613-1626.
- Gómez, A., & Huici, C. (2008). Vicarious intergroup contact and the role of authorities in prejudice reduction. The Spanish Journal of Social Psychology, 11, 103-114.
- Gómez, A., Morales, J. F., Huici, C., Gaviria, C., & Jiménez, J. (2007). When the world comprehends me… and my group. From self-verification to verification of one's group identity. International Journal of Psychology and Psychological Therapy, 7, 213-236.
- Gómez, A., Seyle, C. D., Huici, C., & Swann, W. B., Jr. (2009). Can self-verification strivings fully transcend the self-other barrier? Seeking verification of ingroup identities. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 97, 1021-1044.
- Méndez, E., Gómez, A., & Tropp, L. (2007). When metaperceptions are affected by intergroup processes. International Journal of Psychology and Psychological Therapy, 7, 237-250.
- Swann, W. B., Jr., Gómez, A., Seyle, C., Morales, J. F., & Huici, C. (2009). Identity fusion: The interplay of personal and social identities in extreme group behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 96, 995-1011.
Facultad de Psicología
Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia
Dcho 1.58. C/Juan del Rosal 10
- Phone: 0034 913987747